Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Composting

Composting is something I have wanted to start but haven't yet because I just hadn't found the right system for us. I wanted something easy to assemble, fairly compact, and most of all...... cheap!! So, when I came across a tutorial on building your own compost bin from wood pallets on One Hundred Dollars a Month, I was pretty darn excited. 

All you need to complete this project using this tutorial is 4 or 5 wood pallets and a few smaller things like hinges and 14 gauge wire. The best part about this- you can find pallets for FREE!! Just check your local hardware store or other similar places and see if they have extra pallets they would give you. 

My dad told me today that our local electric company has lots of extra pallets that they give away daily, so that's where I'm planning on getting mine for my compost bin. Yay! 

Once I (and by "I" I mean my sweet hubby ;)) build our new compost bin, I'll post pictures for you all to see! But, for now, let's talk about the do's and don'ts of composting.

What can I put in my compost bin?

- Pretty much anything plant based 
      -fruit and veggies peels and leftovers
      - grass clippings
      - fallen leaves
      - straw
     - shredded newspaper
      - wood shavings or sawdust (in limited amounts)

- Some animal based ingredients 
      - crushed eggshells
      - manure from plant-eating animals like cows, horses, or chickens 

This is a pretty small list. In the All New Square Foot Gardening book, you can find more information on composting.  

What can't I put in my compost bin?

- Material that is diseased or infested with pests
- Meat or animal bones
- Grease
-Whole eggs
-Dairy products
-Seeds or fruit pits
- Manure from animals that eat meat like cats or dogs
-Bakery products
- Supper plate scraps

Do I need to turn my compost pile?

Technically, aerobic compost (exposed to air) doesn't need to be turned. Building a compost bin out of wood pallets, your compost pile will be exposed to air as the pallets have open slats in them.

But, I would turn my pile anyways (and plan to). Turning speeds the decomposition of your compost pile significantly because it increases the oxygen exposure to all parts of the pile and it helps to ensure your compost pile doesn't begin to have a foul odor. 

Turn the pile every 10 days or so with a shovel or garden fork. You can also use a compost aerator to turn your compost pile. This one is reasonably priced and has good reviews on Amazon. 

Keeping the compost pile moist

Your compost pile needs to stay moist, not wet, in order to decompose properly. So, check the consistency of the pile, and add water as needed. I think a great time to do this would be right before you plan on turning your compost pile. This would help to evenly distribute moisture. 


That's composting in a nut shell! We plan on building ours this weekend hopefully, and I'd love to see pictures of yours or here any words of wisdom from those of you who currently compost.

Happy composting!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment