Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fabric Flower Canvas

I love doing crafts with canvas. It's cheap, readily available, and easy to work with. So, I wanted to share my latest craft I've done with canvas. And it's super adorable!!

DIY Fabric Flower Canvas Art

Materials:
















an 11x14 canvas 
1 fat quarter
a staple gun
scissors (not pictured)
hot glue gun (not pictured)
Felt fabric flower (link to tutorial to follow)
iron and ironing board 

First, I made my fabric flower using the tutorial found here. It's a picture tutorial but it's pretty easy to follow. I did find that I needed to cut more pentagons out ("petals") than she indicated, but other than that I just followed the pictures exactly. If you have questions, feel free to leave me a comment below. Oh, and a little tip: use something to press the bottom corners of the petals into the hot glue you place in the middle besides your finger (yup, I learned this the hard way). I used the tip of a mechanical pencil. 




















Next, I covered my canvas with my fat quarter which I got from Fresh Modern Fabric on Etsy. It is good quality fabric for a great price. 

First, iron your fabric, being sure to get all the wrinkles and creases out. Lay the canvas on the fat quarter, making sure the fabric will be lying straight on the front of the canvas (especially if your fabric has a print like this fabulous chevron fabric). Next, trim your fabric to the appropriate size to ensure you have plenty of extra to stretch around the back and staple to the canvas. 





Step 2 is to wrap your fabric up around on of the long sides of your canvas and secure it using your staple gun. Repeat this on the other long side of the canvas. Be sure to stretch the fabric tight as you staple you second side so you won't have any wrinkles in the front.





































To begin the first shorter side, I staple both corners using a technique similar how you would wrap a gift (see pictures below). Then I do the middle of the side and repeat the process on the last side. 





































All 4 sides of the canvas should be completed now.










































The last step is to add your fabric flower you made. Cover the back of the felt flower with hot glue and place it on the canvas. I did mine in the upper left corner, but you could place it in the middle or wherever you like. 























































Simple, right? Making your flower takes the longest, but the result is totally worth it! So cute!

1 comment: